12.27.2010

A new perspective can make all the difference

I showed up at the gym today to go swimming.  As is common there was a water aerobics class going on taking up 2 or the 3 lanes of the pool.  My first impression when this happens is, "darn, not again".  Of course I am focused on myself  and MY workout which causes these thoughts and emotions.  But as I observed this group of people working out, my attitude changed and I thought how great it is that THEY too are working out.  Being active.  Striving to fight gravity that pulls us to a sedentary lifestyle.  Setting goals.  Socializing.  All of the reasons why I enjoy exercise.  It made me happy that we are all doing what we love to do.  The 3rd lane was open so I jumped in and did my swim workout.  

Some times I think we are so focused on ourselves that we overlook others.  I know this is the case with me.  We are all working our way through this crazy thing called life.  We are trying to not be part of the statistics of poor health that plagues our nation.  So, if you have similar emotions, join me as I start the new year with a resolution to share, appreciate others, have more patience, and cheer each other on to greater health.  

2 comments:

Rtia Silic said...

I'm with ya, Joe!

Shannon said...

nothing brings me more happiness than when i see everyone filling the canyons or the sides of the roads with biking or running... i feel so excited when everyone is recreating. we live in the most beautiful area to not enjoy our surroundings... i'm with ya Joe!!