1.10.2011

Sometimes it is the small and simple things...


I am at the airport on my way overseas looking at a Halo action figure.  You may ask, what is that all about?  A 40 year old man with a Halo action figure?  Allow me to explain.  

Yesterday, our 9 year old son handed my wife and I a little 2 inch size Halo action figure.  It was multi colored; red, white and green.  I said, "thanks son" put it down and continued with my day.  He gave one to my wife with red and white colors.  

Last night, we were reading before bed and he asked where my Halo action figure was?  I apologized saying I was not sure.  He then explained that he had taken parts from several of his action figures and put together red, green and white to represent one of his favorite countries, Italy because that is where Grandma Morton is from.  The one he made for Caryn was body parts of Red and White which represented Canada where Caryn and I are from.  I quickly realized that he had not only worked hard on this present for me but had put quite a lot of thought into it.  I asked if he knew where it was.  He brought it to me and told me it was for me trip.  I now am carrying in my pocket my Italian Halo action figure.  Caryn currently has the Canadian Halo action figure.

At first it seemed to me to be a small action figure like the many other toys lining our toy room.  Small in size?  Yes.  But in meaning it was huge.  I am so grateful I had a second chance to be reminded that it is often times the seemingly small and simple things in life and make such a difference.  

So the next time your child, grand child, niece or nephew hands you a toy, there may be more meaning than you expect.   

No comments: