11.23.2010

Is there really a short cut?


I am in a hotel in NYC traveling back from an overseas flight and I am jet lagged.  I can not sleep.  What does that mean?  Informercials a plenty.  

I saw two informercials that seem to sum up how we approach our health here in America which is looking for the easy way out.  The first infomercial was for a way to get the perfect abs.  The message claims to look like the models in the informercial without any real work other than wearing a belt around your waist.  No ab workouts necessary, just wear this belt.  It's so easy.  Is it really that easy?  No.  I am sure they had the actors use the product, but I venture to say that they spent a lot of time at the gym and they were on a very strict diet.  For the vast majority of people we can not look like that without proper diet and exercise.  

The other product I watched was a body contouring product.  You know, the underwear that you wear under your close and claim that they can instantly give the impression of taking 10s of pounds off?  I am not saying that this product will not be helpful to a select group of people.  However, it tells me we are looking for a quick fix rather than getting to the heart of our challenge in America.  What is this?  In a nutshell, 1. How much we put into our mouth. 2. The quality of what we put in our mouths and 3. the level of activity we have on a daily basis.  Simply put, it takes effort on our part.  

1 comment:

Shannon said...

ew, what was the name of the underwear that automatically takes off 10 pds??? haha
jk

i love checking in on our blog and admire all of your strength & wisdom! Your amazing!

give your boys big hugs from me, i am totally missing them!!

loves...