11.12.2010

Why do we take an elevator?



I had a choice the other day, like I always do of taking the elevator at the office or taking the stairs.  I generally take the stairs but often take the elevator as well.  I thought since I am in a hurry I would take the elevator but then decided no, I will take the stairs and just run up the 3 flights of stairs.  Wooohooo, I was huffn' and puffn' when I reached the top.  I made it quicker than the elevator and I felted better.  

Here is the point, my heart rate was elevated, which meant my metabolism was kicking in and I figured I burned some calories.  So how many?  I googled it and found several sources.  One was a person who tested it and came up with an average 150 pound person will burn approximately 4 calories climbing 1 flight of stairs.  That is just walking.  But what if you run it?  Not sure yet.  Stay tuned and I will eventually figure it out. :)  

So why do we take the elevator?  

Please Note, there are people who are simply not capable due to an injury or physical disability.  Please do not misunderstand this blog entry.  I am simply saying, if we are capable and able then why take the elevator?  More convenient? In many cases.  Easier?  Most definitely.  But we are also not burning calories in the process.  Consider this quote from Cha Cha website: 

"Everything we do burns calories. Modern sedentary lives, combined with high-fat, high sugar diets, have contributed to a situation in which most people take in more calories than they burn, resulting in obesity."  


Interesting.  So what if we simply made decisions each day that will help with regards to our daily habits?  I am not saying don't ever take the elevator but consider this.  Let's say I take the stairs on average 3 times per day.  That is approximately 12 calories per climb equaling 36 calories a day which we would not have burned.  Not much you say.  You are correct, not much.  But that is 60 per week, 240 per month and 2,880 calories per year.  That isn't much you say...but that is one simple decision.  And I did not take into account going down the stairs and that is only 3 times per day.  Stay tuned as I explore other areas that with a simple decision each day will add up.

Again, we tend to look to a pill to cure our ills but we overlook simply starting with ourselves.  The human body and mind is an amazing thing.  Ciao for now.





No comments: