6.03.2011

How our attitudes can change in the snap of a finger - if we allow it.



 A few weeks ago I started my day in St. George Utah knowing that I was going to swim 2.4 miles, cycle 112 miles and finish with a marathon of 26.2 miles.  

It was a beautiful day.  The sun was rising over the mountains as about 1500 of us started our swim in the Sand Hollow Reservoir.  The swim went about as I planned.  I came out feeling quite good.  I jumped on my bike and started my journey of 112 miles with 6,000 feet of elevation climb.  The temperature started rising and topped out around 92 degrees.  Wow!  I had come from riding my bike in 40-50 degree weather so I certainly was not prepared for this.  The wind picked up and caused a bit of grief.  But it was my stomach that was my problem.  Due to the hot weather my stomach started wreaking havoc.  By the time I dismounted my bike I was not able to process any food.  I made it about 3 miles and my stomach said, “time out”.    I ended up walking quite a lot of the marathon.  It was either that or I would pass out and end up with a trip to the hospital to wake up with an IV in my arm. 

I went through a range of emotions.  My father, mother, mother-in-law, wife, kids, and several friends were in attendance cheering me on which made me embarrassed.  Knowing I could do better,  I was mad at myself.   I was ashamed as I watched people of all ages passing me.  I just walked.  I knew I would finish but with a time that was not pleasing. 

Around mile 9 or 10, I saw a lady coming the other way starting her first lap of the run.  She had a prosthetic leg. Two things happened: a. I was suddenly inspired.  This woman was my new hero.  To accomplish an IRONMAN is tough enough as it is but with one leg?  My hero.  B. I felt selfish with the negative thoughts that had been consuming my every being while walking the marathon.  My negative thoughts then turned to gratitude.  So my time was not what I expected.  So what if I was walking most of the marathon.   I had so much to be thankful for.  Instead of complaining about the heat, I was noticing how beautiful the sun was as it was setting on the red rocks of St. George Utah.  I started noticing and expressing gratitude to the countless volunteers who were giving of their time to make our grueling day the best experience possible.  I soaked in the music played by the band that was on the run route.  I also started talking to the fascinating people who had come from all around the globe to join in what is haled as the toughest IRONMAN competition in the world.  By around mile 23 my stomach improved enough that I ran the remainder of the marathon.  It felt so good to run down the street and cross the finish line.  


To the thousands of people there cheering us on, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  To my family and friends who were there supporting me, I adore you and sure appreciate the sacrifice you made to be there for me.   And to the woman who not only inspired me but everyone who came in contact with you, I say, “God bless you!”   The world is a better place because of people like you who chose not to let life’s challenges stop you.  You reminded me of the great potential that we all have and you helped changed my attitude in an instant.  

1 comment:

Estela Salinas 500K Premier said...

I feel so lucky to be a part of the Xango Nation, and to have in my life a sensitive wise founder, our beloved Joe, who no matter how busy he is, he always finds the time for his beautiful family and also to share with all of us his love and joy precisely with this simple things...
Much love to your and ALL the Mortons
Estela