4.01.2011

Commitment

In March I had the opportunity to speak at a distributor run Spring
Forward Event for XANGO. My speech was centered around the theme of
"Commitment", and I myself would even make a very challenging self
commitment from stage. Commitment really is liberating. I believe as humans
we want to commit. We need to commit in order to progress and accomplish
our dreams. I was inspired by the following quote, and shared it with the
audience: 

"The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating - in work, in
Play, in love.  The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal
critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around
as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the
barrier to your life."
     -Anne Morriss

I made the commitment to do an Ironman competition this year, publicly, in
front of a large audience. (So no going back). I was nervous to take on
this challenge, knowing that once I said it, that I would have to follow
through. It would be challenging, my travel and business schedule were not
going to be friendly to me training. All of the "but"s and "if"s started
piling up in my head...mountains of cannot, should not, and will not. For
months I had been training for an Ironman but was not fully committed. My
coach kept asking, "When are you going to officially commit?". I never
gave an answer. was my "out". If I did not officially commit then I could
still back out. How often in life do we take this approach?  I know I do.

But in the end, I threw those voices aside, and took that step. I made my
commitment.

I recently read in the book Aspire by Kevin Hall, and was inspired by the
following quote:

"the moment one definitely commits oneself then Providence moves too.  All
sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have
occurred...unforeseen incidents, meetings, and material assistance which
no man could have dreamed would have come his way".
-William Hutchinson Murray.

I found the above quote to be very true, that all sorts of things began to
occur that might not otherwise would have happened. I have been traveling
extensively throughout this past month, and found that I was able to fit
in my swims and workouts. I found that I was able to still train,
regardless of my rigorous schedule. Things are beginning to fall into
place, and I believe it is because I took that step. I took that step, and
made a commitment.

There are obstacles before us all, but if we commit, we will find that
things gradually do begin to fall into place. Having goals keeps us on
track to achieving unbelievable things. But to achieve these goals, we
must very first commit.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I remember the day you openly committed to the Ironman. You seemed very nervous as you were pacing back and forth on stage, you were making me nervous!! Haha! When you finally revealed it, I had a spark of excitement in my heart for you, it’s as if I felt liberated to your commitment. It was very encouraging. I started to consider my life and all the things I want to accomplish but haven’t (yet), because I haven’t committed to them.
This leaves me so inspired to commit to all the dreams that flood my heart!
Thank you Joe.