8.15.2010

Do we have limits?

A question that went through my mind several times yesterday.  I started my day in Park City Utah with several of my riding buddies.  We were part of a bike ride called, "The Ultimate Challenge".  It was a cycling event for citizens to help kick off the Tour of Utah professional bike race.

Before leaving I knew that I had 100 miles ahead of me with close to 10,000 feet of elevation climb.  The temperatures would range from low 40s leaving in the dark to upper 90s by the finish.  As I consider my emotions at the time and periodically throughout the event, a quote comes to my mind,

"The human body has limitations...the human spirit is boundless...your mind in other words is your most important muscle". - author unknown.

I knew that physically I was ready for this event but mentally I was struggling.  I believe the mental side of life is much of our challenge. We must remind ourselves constantly of our potential.  We may be ready physically but are we ready mentally and emotionally?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone who knows may be Dick Hoyt!Emotionally and Mentally you are in top shape, because you can think you are...and therefore you are!Its a great venture to be You Joe.
Enjoy the ride...in everyway!

Dusty Rhodes said...

Yeah!! Welcome to the blogging world. I love it.
Rock on and INSPIRE!!

joe said...

Thank you for your comment. Have a great day.

joe said...

Dick Hoyt and his son Rick are some of my heroes in life. What an inspiration. To think, Dick pulls his son 2.4 miles in a swim, carries him to the bike, bikes 112 miles and then runs a full marathon of 26.2 miles. Remarkable! He has done something like 800 events with Rick ranging from 5Ks to Ironmans. You are correct, Dick Hoyt understands this discussion of limits. A definite hero of mine. Thanks for sharing.

Everyday Sparkles said...

Great message. My husband is a huge fan of biking too and is so excited about the Tour of Utah. And I'm sure you've heard about the Gateway movies about biking.

allez!

Love that. I have a French store opening soon. Share www.madeleinelamour.blogspot.com with your wife if she likes French things.

thanks!

joe said...

Jeni, Thank you for your comment. I love the look of your French store. We too love the French designs, look and feel. We will follow your blog and good luck.