12.20.2011

One Christmas present is free - Time

A few days ago I was racing out the door for the airport.  This is not uncommon for me.  However, our 2 year old daughter wanted to show me her doll.  She was chatting with me only as a 2 year old can.  So sweet.  But I was too busy for her.  She kept following me as I was finalizing my suitcase all the while chatting away.  The time came for me to leave the room and go to my car.  I'll never forget as I walked out the room and as I glanced over my shoulder I saw our little Principessa sitting on the floor, doll in hand looking at me as I walked away.  My heart dropped.  She just wanted to spend a few moments with me and I was walking away.  I got to the stairs and I felt I needed to turn around.  The flight will be there.  I will make it.  But I can't miss this opportunity.  I went back and picked up my daughter and had her show me her doll.  Although brief, we had some daddy/daughter time and then I went to the airport.  To think I almost missed that wonderful moment in time.  

I am all for presents at Christmas time.  I think it is a wonderful way to express our gratitude to our friends and loved ones.  However, I think in many cases, giving the gift of time may be just what is needed.  And it is free.  Going for  a walk.  Talking about the day.  Playing a board game or a video game.  Or simply talking about a little doll.  So during this wonderful Christmas season I propose we try to find ways to give of our time.  It is so rewarding for all involved.  Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes Joe, what a wonderful gift that little bit of time was to you and most of all, your daughter. If every busy Dad,Grandpa, friend, could see what you saw, and take that extra few minutes, what a better place our world would be. Thanks for sharing this, and Merry Christmas to you,your wife and family.
Karl Lindorfer