12.06.2010

Stupid calories take 2

I know it can be obnoxious to always be counting calories. 
However, if we don't who will do it for us? Certainly not the restaurants. We are so conditioned to think a good deal means ginormous amounts of food. 

 Consider this. I have a restaurant calorie counter on my iPhone. (by the way, I highly recommend it. Quite eye opening. Scan through this and there will be no doubt why being over weight and obesity is such an epidemic in our country). Before I dive into this, I am not anti restaurants. I love going to restaurants.  I am simply saying, we live in a land of abundance. We have choices. If we decide to go to Chilis restaurant for our lunch break and we get a burger with fries, here are a few options:

* Ground peppercorn burger with bleu cheese: 1520 Cal, 88g of fat, 120g carb, 55 g of prot, 12g fiber

* Southern Smokehouse Burger: 2080 Cal, 127 g of fat, 141 g carb, 91 g of prot, 10 g of fiber

Want to try a quesadilla?

* Quesadilla-jalapeño steak: 1520 Cal, 102 g of fat, 99 g of carb, 63 g of prot, 7 g of fiber

Let's go with a salad

* Range is from 140 cal for a house salad (i would imagine this is with no dressing) to 1400 Cal for the Quesadilla Explosion salad.

Wow! You get the point.

Stay tuned for other stupid calorie discussions. Remember, it starts with each of us making wise decisions.

No comments: